Monday, August 13, 2007

Sharing is Caring

My brother is coming home this Wednesday. I am very excited. I haven't seen him in 2 years. I'm so used to having him gone that it will be strange to have him home. A lot has changed in the last two years:

  • Mom is working basically full time at the bookstore.
  • Dad has been working evenings and thus has a strange schedule.
  • My sister is married.
  • I graduated, got a full-time job, bought a car, and bought a townhouse.
  • We fixed up the house (my parents' house): painted and re-carpeted the basement, bought some new furniture, and made an upstairs room into a library.


I'm sure he'll be able to identify many other changes, but those are the big ones that I could think of.

My brother and I have a lot of interests in common, so I'm looking forward to sharing many things with him once he gets home. There are movies, shows, games, and other stuff that I'm excited to share with him. At the top of my list is to watch Bleach with him.

I've been thinking lately about how important sharing time and interests are with people you care about. I noticed recently that people tend to mostly talk about a few subjects:

  • Friends and family
  • Work
  • Recent personal events
  • Interests


I noticed this due to the abnormal amount of time I've been spending dating lately (i.e. I've actually been dating recently instead of my normal anti-social behavior). I'm not a great conversationalist, so I'd try to think of good conversation topics. In that mindset I noticed that the above topics came up over and over -- not just in dating, but in most conversations.

Anyway, I guess the point is that I'm excited to spend time with my brother and share my interests with him. And I'm looking forward to what he will share with me.

(I'm also looking forward to sharing time and interests with a woman, but that's a whole other story.)