Thursday, February 5, 2009

Read, Think, Write, Learn

In trying to be a conscientious, career-minded programmer, one of my goals has been to keep abreast of the goings-on in the programming world. Keeping current and learning new things is really vital for the overall success of a programmer. It keeps you relevant, it keeps you from being pigeon-holed, and it helps you stay interested in developing software, to name a few reasons.

In pursuit of that goal, in the last few months I've been looking for interesting blogs and sites that are relevant to my work. There are a few that I felt are worth mentioning. In fact, you'll notice that I've even gone as far as to add links on my sidebar! (Go ahead, look over there.)

The first one I want to mention is the excellent Grant Skinner's gBlog. I was first introduced to this blog sometime a year or so ago when I was doing a lot of Flash work. At the time we were having some problems with our application which turned out to be memory / garbage collection issues. Enter the gBlog. Mr. Skinner has some very helpful information out there about memory management in ActionScript 3 (AS3). Now I may have run across his site before, but this time it stuck. Useful information and really cool demos? That's a site to not forget.

More recently (in the last month or so), I've started following another blog called Coding Horror written by Jeff Atwood. I have found this blog to be very interesting. He has great writing style that practically compels me to read it and he covers some, dare I say, delectable topics. Plus he is working on a very cool site: Stack Overflow.

The thing that I love about these two blogs is that while I might not agree with everything they write, they cause me to think about stuff I care about. And that, my friends, is worth its weight in kilobytes.