Sunday, July 29, 2007

Chasin' Waterfalls

On Friday I attended my cousin's wedding where I got to visit the gardens up at Thanksgiving Point. I had never been up there and was impressed by the beauty of the gardens and landscaping. But my favorite part was watching the waterfalls.

I don't know what it is about flowing water, but sometimes I feel like I could watch it all day. I love to sit by the side of a river and watch it flow by. Hear the sound of the rushing water. See the water foam as it breaks on the rocks. See where the water is crystal clear. And waterfalls are particularly mesmerizing. I especially love it when you can feel the mist on a breeze.

Some day I intend to have a rather large yard. I will landscape it myself, and one of the most important features to include will be a little stream.

I remember when I was a kid my best friend and I would make rivers in the sandbox at his house on hot summer days. We'd get the hose, attach it to the slide of the swing-set, and dig channels for the water to flow.

I think that sometimes life is like a rushing river. There is so much going on and time flies by. But sometimes we need to take a step back, sit on the banks, and enjoy the subtle beauty of it.