Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Play Me a Song, Piano Man

I think that the piano just may be my favorite instrument. It can be loud or soft; fast or slow; gentle or pounding. It can cover so many moods. It has quite a range. It is awesome by itself or as accompaniment.

Personally, I find the piano able to produce the most peaceful music I know. I think my favorite piece of piano music is Ashitaka and San by Joe Hisaishi in the Mononoke Hime soundtrack. Other good ones include Enya's Watermark or the piece entitled Passage Terminated written for Deep Space 9. And it would be practically a sin not to mention the many, many beautiful hymns played on said instrument.

The piano can also be really upbeat and exciting! I love the piano part in the 3rd Bleach closer. Or Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic by The Police. I love the tempo of Coldplay's Clocks.

I am, of course, a fan of many other instruments as well. The guitar (acoustic and electric), drums, trumpets, and others. The violin is another favorite of mine. I love how it is used in some of the tracks in Independence Day — the violinists played on the other side of the bridge to get that creepy squeaky sound.

But to me, the piano is the best. I realized this the other day when I was listening to a particularly well-played hymn at church. It makes me wish that I knew how to play it properly. Perhaps someday I will spend the time needed to really learn it.